Friday, October 2, 2009
Kindergarten – Month 1
What have we been doing for the last month?
Having a great time!
We officially started school on Sept. 8, right after Labor Day weekend. The previous 2 weekends were huge “field trips” as we spent a weekend with my parents in Oklahoma, and then spent the next weekend at the Galveston beach with R’s mom! Both weekends were filled with fun and learning about nature!
Each week we cover the following subjects: Reading, Writing, History, Geography, Math, Bible, Science, Spelling, Home Economics, Arts & Crafts, & Physical Education. The core of that is done in 2-3 hours a day!
We are having a great time!
Here are some of the highlights from the past month:
* Learning about Egypt and the fact that they used to shave off HALF of one eyebrow when their cat died to show they were mourning.
* Learning that the country of Italy looks like a boot on the map.
* Reading (Mommy read, she listened) to the first book in the Boxcar Children series.
* Checking the weather every day for our Weather Chart.
* Changing the days on our “Today is…” chart.
* Making fossils
* Making a weather vane
* Having a paper race to learn about wind
* Hearing my daughter ask if we can PLEASE “do more school!”
* Learning how to operate the “self-check” machine at the grocery store.
* Going to a local Greek festival after learning about Greece.
* Taking soil samples
* Building a rocket out of a cardboard box
Making a coracle and testing to see if it would float.
Fun at the Greek Festival:
Fun with Spelling
Learning the difference between sedimentary & igneous rocks
Physical Education (aka: Getting the extra energy out!)
Whew! I can’t wait to see how October goes!